Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the latest addition to the Call of Duty Franchise. A series sequel to Call of Duty Vanguard and a direct sequel for the 2019 hit, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, COD: MW2 was released on 28th October 2022 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, and for PC via Battle.Net, and Steam.
This game has a new Gunsmith, Perks System, Footsteps and Slides Update, Gun-Handling, and an Advanced Enemy AI. It also features a game mode with a Third-Person-Perspective called “Third Person Moshpit”.
The game was fully released for all platforms a week ago. This surge has created a lot of network errors, glitches, and bugs for players. Just recently, Steam hit a concurrent player number of 240K. This increase in server load may have caused issues for multiple gamers.
In this article, we will discuss the steps for fixing the “Activision Account Could Not Be Linked” error message. For more content regarding game guides, visit our Guides Tab.
“Activision Account Could Not Be Linked” Fix
This error message is not letting players into the game. Primarily, it could be a client-side issue. Furthermore, a server-side problem is also possible. Follow the steps given below for a successful fix.
- Check MW2 Server Status – This ensures that the game is either a server problem or a client problem. You can check the status from the link provided here.
- Check Social Media – For any scheduled updates or news, make sure to follow the Social Media pages of Infinity Ward and the official game.
- Change Your DNS Address – Go to the Control Panel-> Go to ‘Network and Internet’ and then to ‘Network and Sharing Center’-> Click on the connected network on the right side. It would be near ‘Connections:’-> Click on Properties and then on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)-> Click on Properties and select ‘Use the following DNS server addresses:’-> Now type 8888 and 8844 into the blanks from top-down. Or you can copy the same manner in the image provided above.
- Check the Linked Account – Go to the Activision Log In Page-> Sign In and click on your Profile-> Click on Account Linking-> Check if your Steam or Battle.net accounts are linked or not.
- Try Unlinking and Relinking Accounts – Go to the Activision Log In Page-> Sign In and click on your Profile-> Click on Account Linking-> Click on Unlink-> Refresh the webpage-> Relink the account.
- Make a New Activision Account – If nothing works, then try making a fresh new Activision account. This may fix the issue. If not, follow the instructions below.
- Close Steam and Restart the Game – This fix has proven to be a useful one for a number of players. Just restart the Steam App and try to play the game again.
- Restart your PC and Modem – Now that the problem is proven to be client sided, do a clean restart of your PC and re-plug the Modem cables for a network retry.
- Verify Integrity or Reinstall the Game – This fix is the last resort. If there is no way you can get into the game, maybe an installation error may have occurred.
- Contact Players or Authorities – You can join Subreddits and Trello pages to explain your issue, and even get Activision Support involved if required. You bought the game! Don’t shy away from getting it fixed.
These were the steps toward fixing the error message “Activision Account Could Not Be Linked” in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Subscribe to our newsletter to keep yourself updated with topics related to gaming, tech, and more.