Modern Warfare 2 is releasing on the 28th of October, and with a beta already out, players will ultimately face some glitches, lags, and freezes. As is accustomed to every new game, developers release patch notes to fix the game. This article will discuss the lag fixes for Modern Warfare 2.
Sometimes, even a patch note is not enough for a problem in the game. In most cases, it probably has something to do with your computer and its configurations. Here are the most common issues in MW2 and the fixes for them. For more such Error Fix Guides, visit our Error Fixes Tab.
Modern Warfare 2 Lag Fix
Follow the steps for each subtopic in order to ensure that the problem exists only from the server side. These steps will further benefit your gameplay experience in other games as well.
Ultimate List For Lag Fix
- Restart the game and try to run it via “Run as Administrator”
- Reduce your overclocking of the CPU and GPU
- Close all Background Applications before playing the game
- Try turning off your Antivirus
- Try Troubleshooting the Compatibility of the game
- Update your Windows and Nvidia/AMD/Intel Drivers
- Run System File Check by Running the command “sfc /scannow” in CMD via run as administrator
- Try disabling the Onboard Sound Device
- Try doing an Antivirus Scan for the entire computer
- Download a Disk Drive Scanner and search for Bad Sectors
- Try checking if the GPU and CPU are getting enough power
Check Minimum Requirements
- CPU – Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
- GPU – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon RX 470
- RAM – 8GB
- Storage – 25GB
- DirectX Version – 12
- Operating System – Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Windows and GPU Settings
- Put your PC in Performance Mode
- Check for a Windows update
- Turn on Game Mode in Windows
- Set Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to “High Priority” in Task Manager
- Stop all other applications through Task Manager
- Update your Nvidia/AMD drivers
- Set Nvidia “adjust image settings with preview” to Performance
Reduce Graphics Settings
If you are playing the game on High or Ultra, try to reduce the graphics settings in the game and restart. Turn of Anti-Aliasing and effects such as Motion Blur. Make sure that all graphic settings are set to LOW.
Reinstall or Verify Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
You should Reinstall the game, or verify it from steam.
- Right-click on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on Steam.
- Click on Properties
- Go to local files and click on “Verify integrity of game files”
- This process will verify the files you installed and repair them
Or you can try Reinstalling the game on Console from the Game Store. Another method on PC is via Battle.net for Reinstalling:
- Open Battle.net Application on Desktop
- Click the icon of the game you want to repair
- Click the cogwheel next to the Play button and select Check for Updates
If your game is updated and the problem still remains, use the repair tool:
- Click the cogwheel next to the Play button and select Scan and Repair
- Click Begin Scan
- Wait for the repair to finish
Switch to Dedicated Graphics Card
If you are using two graphics cards, or are gaming on a laptop, then try switching the default GPU to the dedicated Graphics Card.
- Open the NVIDIA control panel
- Navigate to 3D settings > Manage 3D settings
- Open the Program settings tab and select your game from the dropdown menu
- Select Preferred graphics processor for this program from the second dropdown menu
- Uninstall Antivirus or disable Windows Firewall
- Reinstall the Redist Files
- Install the All in One Visual C++ Libraries package
- Clear temp and prefetch files
These were the best optimizations for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Subscribe to our newsletter to keep yourself updated with topics related to gaming, tech, and more.