Table of Contents Hide
CalyxOS is an open-source operating system based on android that gives you full control of your device and puts privacy in your own hands.
The main goal of CalyxOS is to provide you with the privacy you need to protect your data and location from big companies like Google.
If you are a user who prefers Privacy and Security, then this Operating System is best for you. This OS hides your traces on the browsers, Uses MicroG, and other Opensource applications, making this OS more secure and better than other OS.
What is CalyxOS
CalyxOS is basically an operating system created by Nicholas Merrill. This Operating System is created for users who don’t want government, big corporations tracking their every movement on the internet.
There are many other OS like LineageOS, GrapheneOS, etc. These Operating systems are also privacy-focused and can be installed on any android device these days, but they have many exploits, issues.
On the other hand, CalyxOS doesn’t have many bugs, exploits, and issues. A few developers constantly update the operating system.
This OS is purely based on security and privacy. The speed and battery life of the operating system are way better than your normal android OS.
Feature of CalyxOS
- A Developer Team of 10 who are willing to give their time to the Project.
- Hides your Location from google, de-google’s your phone.
- Stop anything sensitive from uploading to google servers.
- Ecrypted Phone Calls (Whatsapp and Signal)
- Gives warining if the Phone call is Unencrypted.
- Text Messages are encrypted and dissaperas after sometime.
- Advertising trackers are now blocked (Duck Duck Go)
- Full Anonymity While browsing using Tor Browser.
- Free VPN so you cannot get tracked online.
- Regular and Timely Security Updates.
- You can enable backup on encrypted cloud storage (non google).
- Uses MicroG instead of GooglePlayServices.
- All your android device features are still there but security enabled.
Supported Devices for CalyxOS
- Pixel 4a (5G) (bramble)
- Pixel 5 (redfin)
- Pixel 4a (sunfish)
- Pixel 4 XL (coral)
- Pixel 4 (flame)
- Pixel 3a XL (bonito)
- Pixel 3a (sargo)
- Pixel 3 XL (crosshatch)
- Pixel 3 (blueline)
- Pixel 2 XL (taimen)
- Pixel 2 (walleye)
- Xiaomi Mi A2 (jasmine_sprout)
- More Devices are being added
How to Install CalyxOS on your device
This operating system is pretty easy to install, but you still need to have a basic knowledge of how to do backups if something goes wrong during the installation.
Follow all the steps that are given below carefully to get the best results without getting any errors.
- CalyxOS Supported Android Device.
- Laptop or PC.
- ADB Driver for Windows.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
All you have to do is enable USB debugging in your android device.
To do that, you need to go to the Settings > About Phone > Now Find Build Number and tap 7 times on the option.
After that, go to Developer options > Advanced > Enable USB debugging. After this is done, also enable the OEM Unlocking or debugging in your device.
Steps to Install the OS
- Download the Flasher tool for your operating system.
- Now all you have to do is download the image file that is compatible with your Android device, You can download the image file from CalyxOS Official Site.
- Copy and Paste the the flasher file and the CalyxOS image in the same folder.
- Don’t rename the file or extract them just keep them as they are.
- Now run the Flasher and follow all the instructions that are given on the screen, It will do the job.
- if you got some error while running the Flasher then run CMD in the directory where the file are kept, and then run the flasher using:
chmod +x ./device-flasher.linux; ./device-flasher.linux
chmod +x ./device-flasher.darwin; ./device-flasher.darwin
Enjoy your Privacy Enabled Android Device.
Is CalyxOS a threat to Google?
Let’s get this out of the way, CalyxOS is a security-based operating system based on google’s android.
I know the CalyxOS seems interesting, but there are a few users who are privacy concerned. Also, many people don’t mind letting advertising companies know their likes and dislikes.
Enabling Traces and letting google trace for advertisement options is an excellent way to support your favorite creators on youtube and other platforms with advertisement enabled.
In General, I don’t think that this OS is any threat to google because it will target fewer people, and also, it is basically android.