The steam deck is a handheld device launched by Valve and Advanced Micro Devices which allows players to play any steam game on the go. It was launched on 25 February 2022 with a positive reception overall with the major drawback being that you can only officially play steam games on the device which would leave out massive titles available on other platforms like Origin.
But what most players don’t know is that there is a way you can download origin on the steam deck and play various titles available on it. Today we bring this guide to show you just that.
Step by Step Guide
Here are the steps you’ll have to follow in order to install origin to your steam deck-
- Switch to desktop mode – The first thing you’ll need to do is switch to the desktop mode on your steam deck, this can be done by going to the power setting which can be accessed from the steam button at the bottom left of your screen.
- Download Origin– After switching to the desktop mode, you just have to download the setup file as you would usually do for your PC from the browser.
- Add the Origin Setup FIle as a non Steam game– Next, you will have to select the games option on the upper bar of your steam screen and add a non steam game to your library. You would have to browse the origin.exe file and add it. Once added make sure to check the -force the use of steam play compatibility tool setting, which can be accessed through the properties setting of the file.
- Run the game from your library – After completing step 3 you simply have to run the origin setup file from your library and origin installation would start on your device.
- Delete the file from the library – Once installation is complete you can delete the file from the library but you have to find a few more files.
- Go to Steam>steamapps>compatdata and find the folder with the largest numbers as they contain the non-steam files. Select the folder and go to drive_c > steamuser>public desktop where you will find the Origin.lnk file which you need to add as a non-steam game to your library.
- Go to the properties of Origin.lnk by right-clicking the icon, go to browse in the shortcut section. Now you will need to find the Origin.exe file which will be in the folder mentioned in step 6. Once you add the Origin.exe file you will be able to use the origin launcher on your steam deck.